Saturday, June 1, 2013

Many Posts in One

Lately I have been so occupied. Every day there is an activity that is so appealing that of course I must participate in. Then there is class for about 8 hours a week not that bad, I know I know. And the reading, and the writing, which is pretty time consuming despite how much I enjoy it/appreciate it being assigned. My point is, I have discovered the ultimate pitfall of the blog: One wants to write mostly about the notable events/experiences in one's life, but when there are actually events/experiences that warrant documentation, one has no time to write about them! Okay okay, you caught me, I'm one.

So if you're interested, this post is a retelling of many notable events. You don't have to read the whole thing. But if you don't I will know and it will hurt my feelings. No pressure.

The Globe: 

On wednesday the group headed to Shakespeare's Globe, a model of the original Globe theatre in which Shakespeare's plays were performed. The original burned down in 1613 and there was its first replacement that closed in year something or other and then the one I attended opened in 1997 I think. The theatre is outdoor though much of the audience is covered by a roof. It is such an interesting setup, and there is so much history that is reflected in the architecture itself. There are even sprinklers attached to the roof in case of another fire. I'm not too worried about it.

We took a tour during the day, ate some delicious greek food and then saw The Tempest that night. I really should have read the play beforehand. Apparently there are implications about imperialism and gender that were completely lost on me. Also, Shakespeare is generally challenging to interpret at such high speeds for me. The acting was magnificent and the entire production was completely captivating. On Thursday I am going to see A Midsummer Night's Dream if I am not in Belgium. I bet you wish you could honestly recite that sentence. Really though, I am going to do my very best to read the play online summary of Midsummer before seeing it.

Another really interesting thing we were able to observe during our tour was a press viewing of a few scenes from Midsummer. Actors would come out, perform a scene, pause in certain places for "candid" photographs and repeat the scene over again while photographers snapped, the director advised and journalists scribbled. It was definitely a highlight of my day. I felt like part of the in crowd. Though I guess that day in and of itself was a highlight.









Hunterian Museum*:

About two hours ago I entered the most strange room of my entire life. Molly's friend requested she go to this free museum about medicine which was apparently, very interesting. It ended up being interesting and also, you know, horrifying. We walk into this room that is structurally beautiful and modern. It is full of humans of all kinds talking about all sorts of things as they view the exhibit. There is a little corner at the entrance of the room of reception and souvenirs. And that was the only comforting aspect of this experience; that the entire time I was in this chamber of sociopathy, there was a rack of magnets available to purchase from two exceptionally average receptionists.

So let me just clarify what I said here/why I will never be the same:

The room was modern. It was clean. There were beautiful glass cases with intricate lighting everywhere. It was almost sterile.

There were all types of humans. All types of humans as in dead babies in jars from hundreds of years ago. Also, the living humans there didn't seem to be put off by the dead babies and such. They were talking about all kinds of things, you see. As in Whut d'ya fink mum'll say when she says my new skert? Sigh, british people, you're in the presence of death here. There were other creatures, too. All dead, all in jars. Parts of other creatures, skulls of other creatures, many skeletons (mainly exceptionally large people and exceptionally small people). It was absolutely crazy. Everywhere I turned there was another dead and white being without eyes staring at me begging for mine.

To seek refuge from the demonic stares of creatures with immortal vendettas against humans for a) doing this to them and b) making an exhibit out of it, I ventured into a small back room full of art. But oh wait! The art is even more disturbing than the jars full of dissected abdomens! There  kangaroos with baby kangaroos painted on their bodies. There were many depictions of traditional Native Americans in traditional Native American clothing/jewelry. My personal favorite was the picture of some sort of ancient and royal european man whose face and clothing was about 647 years old but had the body of a 7 year old boy.

In an effort to escape the madness, I turn around suddenly. In place of solace I find a medium sized black statue of a panther? lion? cheetah? feasting on a tiny bunny. Just right there, in the middle of the room, a giant feline with enraged eyes and no sympathy is chewing on the backside of a bunny that was carved to look like it was still alive and twitching.

The art was all property of the man that experimented with these animals. His name was Jim Flageollet.* That was a joke. But I don't remember his real name.

On the way out I saw a mandolin in the corner as part of the exhibit. Apparently it used to belong to a famous person. Or maybe the plaque said it was made out of the bones of baby dolphins and then used as a weapon to dismember tiny monkeys.

It was just disgustingly fascinating. I would go back. No I wouldn't. But if you go to London you have to go see it. This exhibit probably influenced me more than anything I've ever seen. In my life.

I couldn't take pictures because it was prohibited. Probably because the British government wants to hide the fact that it has the desire to bottle us all.

* aka dead baby museum
* test to see if Jim reads my blog

Here are a few photos from the last few days that encompass more than words can.

Well, some words are needed. Incredible park, but I plan on doing a whole park post one day so I'll refrain from sharing details

Raw vegan chocolate cake that is so delicious 



Drinking at the pub where Mark Twain, Charles Dickens and others frequented. Yes, that's a piercing in my nose. My mom says it suits me but she thinks that Nanny won't approve. Mimi, what do you think? 

Platform 9 3/4 

Pretty park from today


Thanks for reading. And if I don't return from Europe assume I've either been discovered to act at the Globe or more likely kidnapped and jarred by the government. x's and o's


No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.