Monday, October 21, 2013

A petit announcement or two


First... I got a job! 
If six months in Afghanistan didn't kill Nick, the shock of this might. Too soon? At least I think I'm funny. 
I'm babysitting four days a week for this really cute family with a great apartment. The kids are cute, one was dressed like a pumpkin, the other actually looks like an angel. The mom is a painter (like, a real one) and the father is a lawyer. But did I mention the apartment? It has a prime location and is massive. And covered in books and movies and art. And they have amazing windows! I couldn't stop thinking about how amazing it will be when it's christmastime and the apartment is all lit up and there's a tree and snow. Just magical. And the kids, they're cute too. 
So, I'm excited about that and then also...
I'm running a half marathon in Paris in March. 
No, really, I am. I'm registered and everything. 
Below is my disjointed attempt to explain to you why I want to run a half marathon in Paris: 

It’s like when you read Nietzsche for the first time you don’t understand it at all. But somehow you want to read more. And then you do, and it still makes no sense, but as you weed your way through it kind of begins to mean something. I promise, I’m not trying to be completely pretentious right now, it’s just a side effect of the cockiness that comes with training for a half marathon in Paris.
But it begins to mean something, and by the time you get to the end it was all worth it, even if you still don’t get it. Because the finished product (the understanding, the 13 miles) isn’t what it’s all about. It’s about the six months preceding the finish line, and about the seven times you picked up the book to read it again. 

And that's why I'm running a parathon. that's my combination of the words paris and marathon. pretty clever, i know, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment